Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Hunger

After a long time, today I’m experiencing the effect of Hunger again. This has brought me back to the days when I had to satisfy with one meal a day and work all day! That time I was doing fulltime postgraduate study at University and concurrently doing another postgraduate programme from another open university in India. Even though I was eligible for scholarship from government, I didn’t get it due to the usual government red tape! I was struggling to meet ends even though I was doing some part time odd jobs. This situation had continued for several months. I managed to hide it from my family, my friends and others because I abhor sympathy! But one day, one of my best friends, Arun, found out my predicament. He narrated my story to our professor at the university. One fine day, my professor called me to his office and asked me why I hid it from him? From that day onwards he made sure I took proper food everyday! He even arranged an alternate fund to finance my scholarship. In the meantime I obtained another decently paid part time job and I said Goodbye to hunger!

There are so many organizations world wide to fight against hunger and give long tern assistance to people in distress. www.actionagainsthunger.org, www.changingthepresent.org, www.giveindia.org, etc. are some of the organizations specilising in these aspects. Please find time to visit these sites.


Some of famous quotes on Hunger (courtesy: changingthepresent.org):

"When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor have nothing to eat, they called me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara
"No clock is more regular than the belly." Francois Rabelais
"There is no sincerer love than the love of food." George Bernard Shaw
"The world is split between those who do not sleep because they are hungry and those who do not sleep because they are afraid of those who are hungry." Paulo Freire
"A hungry man can't see right or wrong. He just sees food." Pearl S. Buck

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

AddThis Social Bookmark Button AddThis Feed Button